I promised pictoral bliss yesterday, I delivered today...
I know - how cute is that?? Just in case you can't read it, it says,
Happy Birthday Daddy
Love, Luke
10/19/09
If I could get these feet out of here, I'd run right home to you.
( Reason #95 that we have really fabulous nurses. This was all their idea.)
Today was a pretty good day. Luke tolerated all his feeds well, so we may keep the amount the same, but increase the frequency tomorrow. His white blood cell count continues to go down and he just might buy himself a lab holiday if it's below 18 tomorrow. I enjoyed some nuzzling time with him this afternoon. We both took a catnap and I so enjoyed the one-on-one time with him.
Tomorrow is a new day and we're cautiously happy about his progress :-)
I had the chance to finally meet the mom of our next door neighbor in Room 7. Being in the NICU 33 days there is one thing I've learned - every story is different but the circumstances don't make the stay any better or worse. Bryce and his family have been in the NICU 4.5 months. As his mom shared their "how we landed a first-class ticket at Dell" story with me, I teared up. Actually, I'm pretty sure we both did. And I had known her less than five minutes. While this is a club I never wanted to join, I joined a walk with some pretty amazing women, with great faith, great humor and great humility.
This morning I also got an unexpected phone call from a mom that the NICU connected me with. Joan's son, a 26-weeker, was in the NICU for 4.5 months. I can't even begin to tell you how comforting it was to talk with another mom who had walked the path before me. There is great peace and validation in knowing that another mom feels the same roller coaster of emotions that you do. Joan, a million thanks. When we get a little farther down the path, know I'll be calling you for more advice :-)
So, that's today. All in all - eventful - but in a rockin' kind of way.
Luke, our little rockstar, keep it up my man. You have an audience waiting to hear from you tomorrow. See you in the morning buddy...
I had the chance to finally meet the mom of our next door neighbor in Room 7. Being in the NICU 33 days there is one thing I've learned - every story is different but the circumstances don't make the stay any better or worse. Bryce and his family have been in the NICU 4.5 months. As his mom shared their "how we landed a first-class ticket at Dell" story with me, I teared up. Actually, I'm pretty sure we both did. And I had known her less than five minutes. While this is a club I never wanted to join, I joined a walk with some pretty amazing women, with great faith, great humor and great humility.
This morning I also got an unexpected phone call from a mom that the NICU connected me with. Joan's son, a 26-weeker, was in the NICU for 4.5 months. I can't even begin to tell you how comforting it was to talk with another mom who had walked the path before me. There is great peace and validation in knowing that another mom feels the same roller coaster of emotions that you do. Joan, a million thanks. When we get a little farther down the path, know I'll be calling you for more advice :-)
So, that's today. All in all - eventful - but in a rockin' kind of way.
Luke, our little rockstar, keep it up my man. You have an audience waiting to hear from you tomorrow. See you in the morning buddy...


2 comments:
Each day better... Many Hoosier prayers come your way every minute of every day!
Whew! That card made me cry! How incredibly sweet of the nurses :) I know Scott will always cherish that thoughtful gift!
Post a Comment