Luke had his developmental assessment at Dell this morning. We do these periodically at the request of the hospital because Luke is considered high-risk for all sorts of developmental delays.
We got a fair amount of good news. Luke's adjusted age is 10 months and he tested at 10 months or above in three of the five areas, with his best scores in fine motor development (at 12 months). His worst, which did not come as a shock to me at all, was his gross motor development (crawling, pulling himself to stand, walking, etc.). He's testing at 8 months there. He just started doing a tiny version of the Army crawl yesterday, which makes us super proud. So, he's getting there. It's just taking longer than I thought it would.
During his evaluation with the physical therapist, two residents and the NP, they all voiced concern about the tightness of his hips and his pronated feet (they're splayed out and the right foot rolls in quite a bit). So much concern, that we've now added another specialist to the mix, pediatric orthopedist.
Now, I love me some facebook, but sometimes it's just not the best medium to conveny the frustration one feels. Yes, I know the following:
- another specialist is not a bad thing
- the news could've been way worse
- he's made huge progress the last few months
- we have to be patient and work on "Luke time" not "our time"
- he's as cute as a stinkin bug
But I am still sad, tired and a little weepy. We've been cruising along at a pretty good pace since the hospital stay from hell back in April. You know, the one when his kidneys almost shut down and he came pretty close to not making it. So, if you compare that grim reality with his reality today, then YES, he is a smiling, happy miracle. I just made the mistake of coasting. Sheez. Didn't I learn anything from the NICU?
Forgive me if I'm not all giggles and kittens this Friday afternoon. I have some big girl underwear in a drawer somewhere, but I'm waiting until tomorrow to put them on. As a fellow NICU mom recently told me, "I understand." And, really, that's all I needed to hear.
Make it a great weekend. We have a little flag football scrimmage and a big home improvement project on the horizon. I'll post before/after pics soon. Oh, and I haven't forgotten about your vacation update. Busy week with school starting. I'll give that big event due coverage next week, too.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Fo shizzle?!! And we were JUST talking on the phone thinking--- we are ALL good on the Drs for a while. We will learn NOT to speak so loud or soon. We do have a tendency to think we know it all! That's what happens when you are "control freaks"...
Love you girl... squeeze my baby!
Kathryn, I can't say that I understand because I don't think I could ever begin to. But I can say I'm very sorry about this setback. I can't even imagine how frustrated you must feel.
However, as a good friend said to me once when i was struggling in a big way, "Remember to cut yourself a little slack." I think it's okay to leave your big girl panties and your brass brassiere in the drawer today. And maybe even tomorrow if you need to. Hang in there, and I'll be sure to say some extra prayers.
I don't know what to say, except that the prayers continue from here.
The other evaluation results are truly remarkable!
I have room in my closet if you need it! I learned in college that it really is the best place to hide from the world and cry.
When I was on the second day of the bar exam and was pretty sure I had wasted three years of my life, closet! When Emery got diagnosed with alopecia I sat in the closet and cried for two days. Everyone told me the things on your facebook list, and although a person can rationalize all of those things out, some days you just need to cry in your closet!
I find the best place is behind the clothes I wore in college but won't ever wear again!!
Praying for you!
Post a Comment