Historical Site!

Friends - I've moved to teamwhitaker.org. This site is still here—for now—but won't be forever and won't be updated. Visit me today at teamwhitaker.org!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

DEEP

Each spring, our kids take the private school equivalent of the TAKS standardized tests - the ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills).  If your child scores above the 95% overall, they are invited to participate in a summer program for children who are gifted and talented.

Back in Dumas during my elementary school days, I think that consisted of flower arranging and a here's how to count to 10 in French!  We were extremely proud of Will for making such high marks and qualifying for the three-week camp.

They had 47 courses in which to choose (wow!) and Will's top choices ended up making the cut.  We didn't give him any limits, we just told him to choose what he loved.  I suppose we could've told him to only choose science or math courses, but as providence would have it, Will's courses were quite well rounded and included a little history, a little math and a little art.

For three weeks, he studied Greek Mythology, Young Architects and DEEP Memories.  For camp first-timers, he also enjoyed a "Perspectives" class which focused on how people learn.  He loved every class.  On Fridays, they were able to participate in four different "mini-classes".  His included Fundamentals of Sport, It Matters, Mystery Class and Watercolor Techniques.

"Thank goodness I didn't get Jewelry Making, Mom.  No offense," he added.

"None taken, my dear.  Just remember, your uncle owns his own jewelry business and designs beautiful pieces.  There's nothing unmanly about that," I replied.

Honestly, I think there was a three-way tie for his classes.  But, if I had to declare a winner, I'd say Young Architects.  In the class, they designed their "Dream House," calculated the square footage and the price for flooring, molding and other construction components.  Once designed, they drew it to scale and then calculated its current market value.  At just over $400,000, and complete with a pizziera, basketball court and ice cream parlor, Will's house would be ANY person's dream.  Outstanding job, buddy.


In Greek Mythology, he was thrilled to have his former Texas history teacher.  He was already totally into the Percy Jackson series, so this class was right up his alley.  But, it did remind me I need to brush up on my Greek gods and goddesses :)  Persephone is why we have seasons, right?!

DEEP Memories was probably the most meaningful and heartfelt choice.  The students were asked to scrapbook something of importance...Will chose his 10-year-old trip to D.C. and then presented the book to Scott as a surprise for Father's Day.  What a big heart.  And, the book was so well done!

He's already excited about going back next summer (this spring's scores qualified him again) and we are extremely proud of his growing imagination, love of learning and happy spirit.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That sounds awesome! I want to go next summer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...