Historical Site!

Friends - I've moved to teamwhitaker.org. This site is still here—for now—but won't be forever and won't be updated. Visit me today at teamwhitaker.org!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Here we go...again

Just as Scott and the boys pulled out of the driveway to head north for Scott's 20-year high school reunion, I felt Luke's forehead.  Hot.

"Wave bye to Daddy," I whispered, praying that it was just low-grade and perhaps a result of teething.  But my heart knew better.  By 11am, his fever had jumped to 101.  I called the pediatrican's office and asked them to fax over orders for a chest x-ray.  They told me to make an appointment and, if necessary, the pediatrician could write the order after our visit.

Uh...no.  I politely asked the nurse to ask Dr. E if she could go ahead and send over the order so we could have the x-rays in hand before the visit.  An hour later I got a call that they had been faxed over.

Rule #1 in being your child's advocate.  Never discount your gut.  And rule #2, don't placate the mom.  I knew what he had, I just needed a doctor to confirm it and write the scrip.

Later this afternoon, after getting the x-rays, we headed to the pedi's office and...

Luke now has pneumonia.

D***

Oh, and the even more fun part?  Most of the drugs you give to treat it he's either A) allergic to or B) will have major gut issues because they are so harsh.  Outstanding.

After several minutes of serious discussion with Dr. E, we opted to give him a less potent antibiotic to see if it will do the trick.  If he's still having high fevers and not keeping fluids down by Sunday, I'm to take him directly to Dell.

{sigh}

Please, please, please take a few moments to pray for Master Luke.  I am so hopeful that these meds will alleviate his symptoms and we can get him on the mend without any major side effects or a trip to my most unfavorite place in the world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...