I don't think I ever posted my "resolutions" for the year. No matter, they're all in my brain, if nowhere else. You probably don't care a hill of beans if I'm making progress or not, but I do. And I need to write this down so I can look back and say, "SEE! I did accomplish something!" Here goes:
TOP TEN: NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
1. Cook more. We got into a bad habit on and off throughout 2010 of eating out. Mostly due to our see-saw between Dell Children's and home. Maybe it was a good excuse, I don't know. But, after looking at how much we were spending eating out, I decided something had to be done. So far, we've only eaten out twice in January. And, we haven't been eating pre-prepared frozen meals either! I was reminded of what my pediatrician said when I told her we *usually* eat out only once a week: "Well, that's still 52 times a year." Touche.
GRADE: A-
2. Be more frugal. See #1. Eating out is part of it. We're also feeling the bigger pinch having three in Catholic school (still totally worth it) and I recognize that in another year that number will jump to 4. I'm working on asking myself the question, "Want or need?"
GRADE: B+
3. Make the "after school crazy" more organized. Over the Christmas break, we (i.e., Scott) made and installed a coat rack for the kids' backpacks and coats. I got the desk area organized and it has been a marriage made in heaven. Homework is going much smoother and I'm signicantly less stressed. It also has to do with #1. I know what we're having for dinner and am able to plan ahead. It's amazing how those two things combined make for a happier, less yelly household come 4pm.
GRADE: A
4. Spend more individual time with the kids. I'll admit, with a household of 7 some days are better than others. Anna-Laura needs reading help, Will math help, John Paul focusing on more than one task at a time help, Clare play time and Luke therapy time. Eeesh. What I've come to learn and embrace is that I do not have a personal stock of endless amounts of time. I'm trying to be more present, to really listen, to see things from their perspective. The dishes may not get done until later, or a sibling may be the one to put on the other one's shoes. Whatever the case may be, we're learning how to survive and thrive in a large household. I believe my children will be better for it.
GRADE: C+
5. Plan more date nights with Scott. We are still very hesitant to leave Luke...with anyone. I'm still nursing, so that's part of it. We just never know what's around the corner with him. We're still living in that hypersensitive state. And if the truth be told, I think Scott and I are only comfortable about leaving the house when it's one of us staying behind to take care of Luke. I know that will pass with time. So, sometimes our date nights are on our living room couch, with a bowl of popcorn and a movie. Sometimes it's us turning off the tv and just chatting. We'll break out of the house at some point. Quality time is what we're after.
GRADE: B+
6. Don't procrastinate the ironing. Way back when, in 2001, I had just given birth to Will, resigned my full-time job and our family income was cut in half. I started doing the ironing to save money...and I've never stopped! There's something very therapeutic about ironing Scott's shirts. I think it's a small way that I can be part of his day :) (Cue cheesy music now) There were a bad few months in there where I didn't iron. At all. Poor Scott was wearing wrinkled shirts to work, never once complaining. But I could tell. And I finally got off my lazy a$$ and got them ironed. So far, I've been pretty good at keeping up.
GRADE: A
7. Work out. Um, this one started off good and has plummeted miserably. I'll save you the excuses and just give you the grade. Needless to say, this one needs some mighty improvement.
GRADE: D-
8. Reserve the judging. Oh, this one cuts to the core. It's so easy to judge, right? Well, it is for me. I should know better. {sigh} Scott and I made a pact to eliminate this really horrible behavior from both our lives and we call each other on the carpet when we do it.
GRADE: B-
9. Spend more time on my own spirituality. We do go to Mass every week as a family, I listen to my Christian music in the van (which, to be fair, is quite a lot) and we pray with the kids. But, I could be doing alot more. For a while we were praying a decade of the rosary as a family each night. I really loved that. For me, the thing I've found myself doing is praying for all those people who send us requests when I'm nursing Luke to bed. It's a quiet part of my day and I find great joy doing it.
GRADE: C+
10. Write more. I've been toying with writing a book for a while. Not that I'm all that and a bag of chips...it's just I love doing it. Really love, love doing it. I have no flipping idea what about, but perhaps over the course of the year it will come to me. If Julie Powell can write a book about her Julie/Julia cooking project, then surely I can come up with something to write about! Eh, in due time. Due time.
GRADE: incomplete :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
You're doing great, K! And, haven't I been telling you for months to write a book about your experiences with Luke... you could just print out the blogs! The way you write about your life is very uplifting and inspiring. Go for it!
This is all so ambitious! You would write a great book, it could be titled, Catholic Organized Living. Hehe. Ok, I'm not kidding. We got a coat rack too. It has transformed my life.
Post a Comment