Last Saturday, we enjoyed a pretty glorious morning and afternoon back at Dell Children's. Trust me. That is not a sentence I thought I would ever write. Most NICUs host a reunion of sorts and we are lucky enough to attend two - Seton Main and Dell. We missed Seton's earlier this spring because we were...at the hospital...in surgery :(
I wasn't really sure what it was going to be like heading back. Seeing all those beautiful faces of the people that took such good care of Luke, and us. It was pretty much awesome. And a teeny bit emotional.
There were nurses and neonatologists, respiratory therapsits, clinical assistants and nurse managers, oh my. They all smiled and belted out, "Luke!" I'm ok with him being the rockstar. He's earned it. To think a year ago, he was barely five pounds and change, with an ostomy bag and a big 'ol scar across the belly.
This day was about celebration, though. Celebration at how far we'd come. Yep, we still have some kinks to work out, but I am hopeful. The reunion reminded me of that precious gift. I don't think I've ever been to a place where so many people were smiling!
There were so many precious moments.
Seeing our first day nurse, Leah. Excuse me, AGGIE nurse Leah. She got pregnant and had a baby since we saw her last. WOW! She was the nurse I begged to go into Luke's first surgery. The surgery we weren't sure he would survive. We have a special connection with her.
Then there was Nicole, the first face we saw just before midnight when Luke was transported. She had everything under control. In the sea of chaos, I knew we could count on her to give us answers. I will never forget our first meeting with her. Ever.
And, Lisa. AGGIE Lisa (yes, we know them all) who visited us every hospital stay after discharge. She was always there to listen. Thanks Lisa.
And Melody, Janet, Kelly, Kirby - so many awesome peeps. Then we heard it, a "Ah, it's Maasta Luke" in the British accent we know so well. Dr. Michael! There isn't enough room on the blog to write about the special connection we share with him. I'm getting teary thinking about it. He is so gentle and loving with Luke, with all the babies, and you just know that his gift is being used just the way God intended. He's a good man, Charlie Brown. Smashing, I'd say. (say that again with a British accent, it sounds way better).
We even saw a few neighbors, NICU neighbors that is. Bryce, aka the Amazing Bryce-anator, looked so good. His mom, Katrina, and I met for the first time at the NICU scrub-in sink. We just started talking and our stories bubbled out. I'm pretty sure we both had tear-filled eyes after that first meeting. Between therapy and doctor visits we've only been able to see each other once since discharge, but I look at her and see a strong woman. Bryce's story will bring you to tears and fill you with hope. I am honored to know the Moline family.
Yes, it was a fab-tastic day. Interestingly enough, just as we prepared to leave, I looked up at Dell and saw someone from a hospital room looking down at the festivities. No doubt, wanting to be anywhere else but that hospital room. I've been that parent. I remember seeing those smiling, happy people. Happiness comes, we just have to wait for it.
How sweet it is.




No comments:
Post a Comment