Historical Site!

Friends - I've moved to teamwhitaker.org. This site is still here—for now—but won't be forever and won't be updated. Visit me today at teamwhitaker.org!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The End?

One can only hope.  Sunday night Luke got a low-grade fever, we gave him some Tylenol and when we checked on him a few hours later, the fever was gone. Whew.  Catastrophe avoided.

By noon on Monday, though, the fever was back and by 5pm, it had hit 103.8.  I immediately put in a call to the after-hours clinic at our doctor's office.  One strep and flu swab later and he tested positive for Flu B.

{saracasm font} I'm SO happy we got flu shots for everyone.  They've worked SO well.

I'm not sure we'll ever do them again.  Right now, I'm just jaded.

I will say that two people really made our evening in the most unlikely of places.  Luke's nurse was a former NICU nurse and she immediately fell in love with him.  Who wouldn't, right?  She was kind and very thorough.  Some people just have a gift and I'm thankful that we had Kim last night.  She was incredible.  After I arrived home, I handed Luke off to Scott and jetted out to grab some ibuprofen for his fever (because, of course we've gone through three bottles!!).  While I was out the doctor called with confirmation of the flu diagnosis and I sped off to People's Pharmacy for the scrip...

Except when I got there at 8:11, the sign on the door said, "Closed."  That's just awesome.  They closed at 8.  I got back on my cell, dialed the doctor and got Kim.  LOVE HER.  By the time I got to the next pharmacy, the pharmacist was already on it.  As a matter of fact, he was on the phone with the doctor because the dosage seemed low to him.  There were a line of cars at the drive-thru and several folks milling around the pharmacy.  But he made Luke's meds a priority.  I almost leapt over that counter and hugged that man.  I waited less than seven minutes for the Tamiflu.  That Walgreen's pharmacist was one of THE nicest and most compassionate I have ever met.  And, trust me, I've met a few.

Luke had a restful night and I am hopeful that the power of the meds will kick in soon.  The older three are off to school today and Clare is happily bounding off to little school, as well.

I'm just anxious and worried.  Luke lost over a pound with the stomach virus and now the flu isn't helping.  Dr. B is not going to be happy with that weight loss.  At all.  Please God don't let that mean surgery.  Please.  I have one week to get him chubby.  Let's see what prayer, a few avocados and Greek God yogurt can do :)

SWEET STORY:   I had the post written and realized I forgot to share.  While Kim is taking Luke's history, he's looking pretty puny and laying his head on my shoulder.  All of a sudden, he looks up and gives me like ten kisses in a row, smiles and then puts his head back on my shoulder.  Kim and I both teared up.  I sure do love that boy.

2 comments:

Tuckers said...

Oh Sweet Kathryn-
Ya know- I have no other words but -- I love you man!
Strongest chica I know-- would have visited the padded room by now. You guys are a great inspiration to me...

Verdina Louisa said...

There must be an end! I can't believe your experience with flu shots!!! Luke's sweet kisses brought tears to my eyes! Now, to fatten up that little guy! Hang in there, Kathryn! Many prayers head your way every day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...