Historical Site!

Friends - I've moved to teamwhitaker.org. This site is still here—for now—but won't be forever and won't be updated. Visit me today at teamwhitaker.org!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Finding the Light

Some days, especially lately, we are starting to see glimpses of light at the end of a very long tunnel.  In tomorrow's post, I'll explain what the glimpses of light are and what challenges still lie ahead.

But, today I'm just really, supremely perturbed with medical bills.  That, and absolutely exhausted.  You see, I've been poring over bills, EOBs (explanation of benefits), our insurance coverage and what IS and what ISN'T covered, our bank statements - all of it - for So. Dang. Long.  Just when I think we've finally hit the end, I get two bills in  five days that have way, way too many zeros at the end.  With eight specialists, five surgeries, a bazillion therapy appointments, follow-up visits and hospital stays, it was bound to catch up to me.

I am so frustrated.  And so tired.  This is the really, really horrible reality of a having a child with special needs.  The scarier part is I wonder how long it will last.  The even scarier part is nobody knows.  I recognize and rarely forget that there is mom crying in her office today not because of the mounting medical bills, but because she has no baby to kiss.  No baby to love.  No baby to play peek-a-boo and read books to every evening.  That is a reality I need to be reminded of on this day.

Yes, I'll fight the good fight.  I've made huge headway on my medical billing knowledge, I've hung up on creditors, gone through boxes of Kleenex, negotiated payment terms, talked to supervisors and held out for what I know is right.  It's just that some days are hard.

Today is that day.

7 comments:

Wiley said...

Someone else having different frustrations and pain doesn't unmake yours in anyway. And the medical bills are just annoying! Even when you have the blessing of knowing it should end up well, things like coordination of benefits and the like take a lot out of you...

Receiving multiple six figure bills made me sputter and I knew we had good medical coverage and for the first 30 days (the most expensive ones) of my son's life, he even had primary and secondary.

So here's an argh for you!

Lena said...

your intentions are in our lenten prayers.

Kelley said...

I feel you Kathryn!! I made a promise to myself to only check the mailbox during business hours! That way I could call & get an answer about them right away! Good luck, and thank goodness for payment plans!!

Nicole said...

Hugging you in my heart, K. Hang in there!

Indiana Elephant said...

Oh, Kathryn,
We so feel your pain and frustration. Here's a scream from Indy on your behalf, and a prayer for you to have a better one tomorrow!

Jan Stovall said...

Love ya, girl! You're in my prayers tonight!

KatieO said...

I have finally come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason or understanding to insurance bills: everything they do is arbitrary, and based on a tricky, confusing way of making sure they maximize profits and can't explain anything to you. I have never heard a reasonable explanation for why some charges count towards a deductible and some don't. That's so simple, just one little example.
So sorry. I feel your frustrations, and they are very real, no matter how much else suffering is going on out there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...